A man from County Durham has been banned from keeping dogs for five years after a member of the public filmed his five-minute attack on his dog, Lazarus, who can be seen in the video cowering and trying to pull away whilst being hit repeatedly with an object.
Christopher Smith was prosecuted by the RSPCA after the charity was sent a video of the incident, which Smith claimed happened while he was drunk. Following an investigation, Smith was visited at his home on 4 April by RSPCA inspector Kirsty Keogh-Laws.
She later said in court, “A white male, around 5ft 9 inches of slim build with dark brown mid length hair and a moustache, answered the door. I now know this person to be Christoper Smith. There was also a brown/red merle male pocket bully type dog known as Lazarus.
“I explained the reason for my visit. Christopher Smith advised me that the incident happened the previous Monday and he had been drunk and lost his temper. He confirmed it was him and Lazarus in the video.”
“The dog was friendly and boisterous around me but appeared to be hand shy of Christopher Smith. He confirmed he owned Lazarus and that he had not seen a vet since the incident or while in his care at all.”
Smith gave permission for the inspector to take Lazarus to be examined by a vet, who was also shown the video of the incident. In his statement to the court the vet said, that Lazarus “had been caused to suffer by the mechanism of injury due to physical attack during the period caught on camera”.
Lazarus remains in RSPCA care. As for Smith, in addition to the five-year disqualification order, magistrates also imposed a 12-month Community Order with 20 RAR days and an £80 fine.
Inspector Keogh-Laws added, “Smith inflicted appalling and totally unnecessary violence on this young dog. Members of the public were equally concerned by what they witnessed and we’d like to thank them for providing us with the footage which has ensured Smith has been held to account for his actions.”
Images by RSPCA