The four doggy dangers of Easter!


Would you rather spend your Easter weekend:

A) Baking yourself to a crisp in your garden in an unprecedented mid-April heatwave?

B) Watching the rain through the living room window with Steel Magnolias on the television and dunking shards of chocolate egg in your mug of tea?


C) In the waiting room of your local veterinary clinic?

If you answered ‘A’ or ‘B’, you need to read our advice for keeping your dog safe over the bank holiday weekend…


easter egg chocolate

Doesn’t this Creme Egg look appealing? Well it smells appealing to your dog too… Chocolate is perhaps the most well-known of the doggy poisons, and of course there’s plenty of it about at Easter. Vets will inevitably see dogs who have eaten chocolate over the Easter weekend. Is there a stray egg left in the garden or under the sofa from the afternoon’s hunt? Your dog will soon sniff it out. Keep a tally of the number of chocolate eggs hidden and found, and keep dogs well out of the way in a chocolate-free zone until the event is over. Then keep prizes on high shelves, away from pinching paws.

Remember the key ingredient to remember here is Theobromine – and there’s much more of it in dark chocolate than milk. White chocolate contains very little, but all that fat and sugar could cause other immediate health issues for your pet.

No bones about it

easter lamb

Lamb is delicious! But that leftover leg bone, cooked on the barbecue for many hours, is ready to splinter. Your dog doesn’t know that the white shards could puncture his throat or lodge in his intestines – but you do. Never, ever, give a dog a cooked bone. And that includes leaving it in an easily-accessible bin.

Currant issues

Vine fruit

Vine fruits are incredibly toxic to dogs – so that Good Friday hot cross bun, packed with raisins and sultanas, could be a dog death sentence. These are a lesser known danger for dogs, with many owners unaware they must never be consumed by four-legged best friends. Don’t share! Eat that entire packet of buns by yourself – not that you need an excuse…

Bouquet bother


A pretty vase of spring flowers may seem an unlikely ticket to the emergency vets, but Easter blooms such as daffodils and tulips are poisonous to pets and can cause severe irritation to your dog’s digestive system and even fits. The leftover vase water from daffodils can be dangerous too – chuck it straight down the sink or drain when the weekend is over.

We wish you a very happy Easter!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here