Staffie pup survives swallowing eight-inch kitchen knife

In the most incredible x-rays, it's possible to see the scale of a knife inside the body of a tiny 12-week-old puppy. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier in question, named Macie, is very lucky to be alive indeed.

Owner Irene Paisley rushed Macie to PDSA's emergency out-of-hours service in Glasgow, after the puppy began choking horribly.

“Macie was making a squeaking sound – I thought she’d swallowed part of a toy,” says Irene. “Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy and she started choking.”

Having lost her last beloved Staffie to cancer just two months earlier, Irene was terrified of what might happen to her new family member.

"By the time we arrived at the vet’s, there was blood coming out of her nose. The loss of our previous dog was still very raw and the thought of losing Macie was devastating.”

Via PDSA

Via PDSA

X-rays then revealed what was causing the problem; Macie had managed to pinch a knife, perhaps from her family's dishwasher, and in her puppy curiosity had swallowed it whole.

Via PDSA

Via PDSA

Such was the length of the object, the knife handle had passed through Macie's stomach into her intestines, yet the tip of the blade was in her gullet. Thankfully, an emergency operation was a success, and Macie, being young and otherwise healthy, was back to normal very quickly.

PIC © Sandy Young 07970 268944 Macie, a 14-week-old Staffirdshire Bull Terrier who swallowed a kitchen knife and required life-saving surgery. PICTURED at the Glasgow PDSA, PDSA Vet Emily Ronald with Macie the Staffirdshire Bull Terrier and the knife she had swallowed. www.scottishphotographer.com sandyyoungphotography.wordpress.com sandyyoungphotography@gmail.com 07970 268 944 This image is copyright of Sandy Young Photography 2016©. This image has been supplied by Sandy Young Photography and must be credited Sandy Young Photography. The author is asserting his full Moral rights in relation to the publication of this image. Rights for onward transmission of any image or file is not granted or implied. Changing or deleting Copyright information is illegal as specified in the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988. If you are in any way unsure of your right to publish this image please contact Sandy Young Photography on 07970 268944 or email sandyyoungphotography@gmail.com

© Sandy Young Photography 2016

PDSA vet Emily Ronald said, “I’ve never seen an x-ray like Macie’s. She was extremely lucky to survive. Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first – the blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries.

“The morning after surgery, she was bouncing all over the place as if nothing had happened. Macie has been back for frequent check-ups over the past two weeks and we’re pleased she’s recovering and healing well.”

1 comment

Leave a reply